Sunday, December 19, 2010

handcuffs on the flowers

A there but for the grace of God story:
About 1973, working at Mayview State Mental Hospital, one of the patients' history showed he had been married, had a house and car, had been a foreman with a construction company...then developed epilepsy...lost his job, then the car, then the house, then the wife...was drinking and was arrested trying to break into a pop machine...acted "crazy" while in jail so was sent to Mayview for observation...I went on my own to speak for him at a hearing, stopped at the "Bullpen" where inmates are kept temporarily at the courthouse till their hearings, asked the guard which judge he would go in front of...The guard asked me what I was reading and I noticed his face dropped and he quickly handed me back the book...didn't realize till later why - it was a play called And They Put Handcuffs on the Flowers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home