Monday, May 30, 2011

The dead have power.

From
When Smoke Ran Like Water
Tales of Environmental Deception and the Battle Against Pollution
by Devra Davis
http//environmentalhealthtrust.org/content/when-smoke-ran-water-0
pages 190-192
...Bella Abzug...belief in immortality...skeptical...rallying the troops for NOW [National Organization for Women] at the Washington Monument...struggled with...pain...asked me, "What makes you so sure there is anything after we die?"

"Bella," I replied, "what makes you so strong in the face of such pain? What forces you to spend these days struggling with us here? Why don't you just go to Florida and play mah jong? Can it be anything other than the soulds of all those who have gone before you?"

"I'm not so sure about ALL those souls," she sighed. "But I know my mother is still very proud of me."

"We are not going to allow you to just disappear. I know I will see you again," I assured her...She nodded without argument...said she was living on fury at the time. I like to think she drew comfort from the thought that her work...would continue through the thousands whom she had reached...

...Her funeral became a celebration of her gritty determination that we no longer stand by passively and wait for science before acting to protect ourselves and our families. The young woman rabbi presiding over her funeral celebration somberrly intoned, "If heaven ever were male dominated..."...looked upward..."...we know things are changing right now." That brought down the house.

Shirley MacLaine, known for her efforts to communicate across time and space...looking straight at the coffin..."Bella, you always said you were a feminist. But I also know that you were basically a huMANist," MacLaine stressed the middle syllable.

At that moment, the microphone, which stood several feet from MacLaine and well away from any living soul, fell off its stand. The crowd gasped.

"OK,OK, Bella. I was just kidding," MacLaine replied.

excerpt
http://www.amazon.com/When-Smoke-Like-Water-Environmental/dp/0465015220/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279057329&sr=8-1#reader_0465015220

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home