Wednesday, July 01, 2009

CHANGE NOW

We all one.
======
"...When radishes and corn you munch,
You may be having me for lunch..."
~Lee Hays
peteseeger.net/motherearthnews.htm
======
"The end is near, but I could be wrong."
~Pete Seeger
peteseeger.net/motherearthnews.htm
======
"...I dreamed I saw the bomber jet planes flying shotgun in the sky Turning into butterfiles above our nation..."
======
"...not only can we do better; we have no choice but to do better..."
~Dennis Kucinich, who might have been President had not the corporate media marginalized him.
truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/20090627_kucinich_says_climate_bill_might_make_things_worse
======
peteseeger.net/motherearthnews.htm

Seeger:...Maybe some of us won't live through the trying times to come, but let's not give up hope that life on earth will survive. Those who do make it, however, won't likely be a few fearful individuals who've moved off alone to the Rocky Mountains with their supplies. No, the people who survive are probably going: to be those who know how to grow their own food, how to build their own houses, and how to share that information with them neighbors. I'm convinced that survival in the future will depend upon learning how to share...

PLOWBOY: You've chosen to use your music for, and denote your life to, fighting and struggling for the causes you believe in. I admit I find it somewhat surprising that you've kept your optimism and sense of humor throughout it all.

SEEGER: Well, even Jesus said, "Be of good cheer," and the greatest songwriters I've known have been people who have had a wonderful sense of humor . . . folks such as Woody Guthrie and Lee Hays. In fact, one of Lee's last songs was written to my wife, who loves to garden as much as he did.

If I should die before I wake,
All my bone and sinew take,
Put me in the compost pile
To decompose me for a while.
Worms, water, sun will have their way,
Returning me to common clay.
All that I am will feed the trees
And little fishes in the seas.
When radishes and corn you munch,
You may be having me for lunch
And then excrete me with a grin,
Chortling, "There goes Lee again!"

I think humor reminds us of our own contradictions and urges us to keep on going . . . if for no other reason, just to see what the hell will happen next.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home