Thursday, February 24, 2011

We po' ain't so dum.

My comment to
http://fatnutritionist.com/index.php/if-only-poor-people-understood-nutrition
posted on facebook by Chatham Program Director Alice Julier:
Jim McCue wrote: I like the taste of Boost and Ensure, but they have corn syrup, right? The rate of diabetes and heart disease from sweet processed stuff is mushrooming. It's being forced to choose between the present and the future. We deliver "blizzard boxes" to Meals on Wheels recipients with emergency canned and dry foods in case of the increasingly likely event of power outages due to weather and other problems the poor are first to feel the brunt of, but we should also be delivering fresh (by fresh I mean uncooked) greens and vegetables. A healthy body can manufacture energy from starch or protein (unless I'm mistaken). The Hazelwood section of Pittsburgh no longer has a grocery store, so these issues are gut level here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

I am in agreement Jim. I have two students working with the community groups in Hazelwood and the main issue is what do people want, not what should be imposed upon them.

6:20 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

I am in agreement, Jim. I have two students who work with community groups in Hazelwood and the main thing we are constantly reminded is that it's important to figure out what people want, not to impose or assume it's obvious. And in Hazelwood, there are numerous needs, not all in agreement. I think that's true in a lot of low income areas.

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home